Friday, July 8, 2011

Land-locked

I haven't left home in a year. Sure, I have been to the grocery store and run over to Tallahassee for appointments and of course to work but I haven't Left Home...as in Gone Away. And it is high time I did. My home on the farm is a wonderful place and I am in it as much as possible, but I have dug my overnight bag out from way back in the closet and I am packing for a lazy weekend at the coast. My best friend from college is on her way down to pick me up and we are going to do a whole lot of nothing for two days. No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, no "mama, come see if you can fit in THIS fort!"
I used to treat myself to a cruise weekend once a year and it was good for my soul. Turning over my little ones to my mom and going off for some guilt-free me time got easier every year and broke the monotony of single-momhood. Kept my sights on the horizon, too. But lately I have become quite mentally land-locked, seeing only as far ahead as what to cook for supper and worrying about what trouble Sam can get into between the two ponds. It's time to go elsewhere and look at the sunset over something other than a field of peanuts.
If I am feeling this way, I imagine my kids are, too, so I think a family vacation is in order for the Fall. I am going to plan that....when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment