Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Say what?

Conduct and character are largely determined by the nature of the words we currently use to discuss ourselves and the world around us. ~ Aldous Huxley

One of my co-workers used to constantly tell me to watch my language. I didn't get it and assumed she was being sarcastic because I wasn't in the habit of using foul language at school. So I asked her about it. She explained that a pastor she enjoyed often reminded people that when we verbalize negativity we are also hearing it and usually internalizing it in some way. At her suggestion I started listening and heard myself refer to myself as old, fat, tired, poor, stupid, lazy, mean and a host of other not-so-wonderful adjectives. If someone else had called me these things I would have protested and considered him hostile, but I didn't seem to mind calling myself names. Hmmmm...made no sense.

Now, I'm not saying it was an epiphany nor am I into daily affirmations, but I decided to make a concerted effort to change the things I was hearing about myself and my life. I thought I was wonderful so I should be portrayed as such, no? "We are eating light this week" sounds (and feels) so much better than "I'm too broke to go to the grocery store." And instead of being old and forgetful I have become the Sticky Note Queen! I have a long way to go, but it is getting easier as it becomes a habit. And much to the chagrin of my cohorts I have begun telling them to watch their language. It's kind of funny sometimes, especially when my daughter refuses to agree that mom is "hot."

1 comment: