Friday, January 30, 2009

About that change...


...I mentioned was a comin'. Well it sure is and in a big way for me and my little family! My cousin owns a cleaning business and called to see if I knew anyone interested in renting a house she was working on. No one came to mind right away but I asked her to give me some details and I'd ask around. She gave me the details and I called the owner to say "We'll take it!"

I am the picture of stability, rarely rocking the boat enough to cause any kind of change in my life, good or bad. Moving has always scared the poo out of me because it entails packing and cleaning out and leaving the neighbors and relocating my animals and a whole bunch of other stuff regular people do all the time. I have been in the same crappy little rental house for almost 9 years, but since my son came along and is now literally climbing the walls, it has become increasingly obvious that we are due for an upgrade. (Don't get me started on the idea of actually buying a house because I will have a come-apart.) The yard is small and we live on the second busiest street in town so outside play for my son and the dog is just not an option. My landlord now lives out of the state so the maintenance on the place has taken a nose-dive. ( The tree that went through my roof in August is still lying where it landed in the back yard after the boy who occasionally cuts the grass came and pulled it out. )

Our new home sits in the middle of an old tobacco farm. The land is now used for cotton crops and a tree farm and is littered with barns, sheds and other out-buildings whose original use is yet a mystery to me. The entrance to the place is a lovely drive through young pines. Our house was built in the late 1800's and part of it was the farm's commissary. Its lofty ceilings, myriad of windows (that really open!) and shotgun layout are in stark contrast to the cramped, dark little abode my kids have grown up in. While I doubt that I have enough furniture to fill the place, my son will be thrilled that he can ride his skateboard straight through the front door and out the back!

This move is going to be so good for us in so many ways. Sam and Bubba will have acres and acres to run and play and Sara will have more room to do whatever it is teenagers do these days. And I'll have a clear view of the stars and no street noise as I relax in the comfort of my screened porch. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment