Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Up and running...

This adventure started when I innocently asked, "who's this?" The back of this old photo says "Guy Reiser (Geo. West) and Ring." Well, Ring was Grandpa Charlie's dog so why was this person in a portrait with him? And why did he use an alias?

Why? Who? What? Where? Lots of question go along with lots of photos and tin types from as far back as the mid 1800s. Most of them can be identified as family members but then are are some seemingly random ones like this one of Guy and Ring. I found out that Guy had worked for Grandpa Charlie for a couple of years. And the backdrop for this photo looks like one in the photo in yesterday's post so I assume Guy needed some props and Charlie's were handy.

I have learned a lot in these first 24 hours of my ancestral adventure. My friend got me started on the Ancestry.com website and I am hooked. I am a visual-spatial learner so having it all literally mapped out helps me picture connections and retain them as I discover more family photos and my mom rembers parts of names. This week I will go meet with my Aunt Ina Boykin and fill in some gaps on my paternal side. Another friend has done extensive research on his Creek ancestors and has connected me with sources to locate my maternal grandmother's people. I am both excited and overwhelmed by it all. History has never interested me and I cannot say that I am suddenly into it, rather I am fascinated by these people that I have heard of over Thanksgiving dinner for the better part of my life. The stories connected with them are entertaining and I get the feeling that I really would have liked most of the relatives in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment