Saturday, March 17, 2012

Doctors, Diaries and Other D Words

     I usually know what I am doing.  I think I do, anyway.  At least that is what I tell myself.  So it stopped me in my tracks to have the mirror help up for me last month.  I didn't like what I saw.  And I am so glad it happened! 
      After standing in my kitchen the entire holiday break, my knees were an aching mess by January so I went to the orthopedist.  He didn't hesitate to tell me that I have the knees of a sixty-year-old woman and if I don't do something now, I will be having a knee replacement by fifty.  What he meant by "do something" was to lose some weight and keep it off.  Forever.  Well.  I have been chubby ever since third grade when puberty started creeping in.  Since then I have lost and gained and lost and gained depending on circumstances and motivators for change.  But this was serious.  Major catalyst for change.  The doctor sent me to see a "nutritionist" who he swore would get the job done.  She means business.  And was he ever right!
     I went to my appointment with Dr. Cain and her nurse did all the preliminary screenings and measurements to determine just how overweight I am.  I am pleased to report that I am not nearly as fat as I imagine myself to be.  So when I finally met Dr.Cain she asked what I was doing there.  I told her that I need to lose some weight and keep it off forever and if I don't Dr. Thornberry is going to make me get new knees.  Also, I don't have time for calorie-counting, diets don't work for me because I work full-time and then have side business and kids to tend to and my day is already just so full and yadda yadda yadda.  She sat there with her intense blue eyes focused right on mine.  When I was done with my spiel, she asked, "Are you going to do something?"  Well....yes, of course.  I am going to really try this time.  "No, Holle, are you going to do something?  I didn't ask you to try.  If you aren't going to commit to doing this, you are wasting my time."  Damn. "You have been talking for three minutes and all I have heard are excuses.  If this is what is working for you, then I am going to go help someone who wants it."  Damn.  I was busted.  The Fat Doctor called me out!  She saw right through me and held the mirror up for me to see through me, too.   I do not like change.  I am content with the status quo unless something pushes me into action.  I have some lazy tendencies and can be very stubborn...especially when someone purports to make me do something I do not want to do. Like diet.  I told her I am not going to diet.  I will be glad to eat healthier because I like fruits and veggies and all that, but I am not going to measure and weigh food nor am I going to count calories and make lists of everything I eat in a day.  I just will not.  She can't make me.  So she sent me in to see the dietitian. 
      Dr. Cain introduced me to Katie as "Holle, The Queen of Excuses."  Damn.  Those two were in cahoots.  "Holle is not going to diet or count calories.  But she is committed to change."  I felt her wink as she turned to leave.  Katie proceeded to tell me The Plan for the change I was about to undergo.  We talked about carbs, proteins and exercise and not once did she utter that four-letter D word that I was not going to do.  She put me on 1,100 calories per day, a minimum of one hour of exercise per day and gave me a binder to keep a food diary.  She didn't tell me what I could and couldn't eat but to keep it around 35 carbs per meal and make sure to write it all down so we can see what works.  Uh huh.  A damn diet diary!   Then they sent me home.  On the way out I had to stop and make an appointment for the re-check...to monitor my progress.  I thought that was a great idea...I need a weekly check-in to keep me on track.  The next available appointment was six weeks away.  "Are you serious?  Y'all are going to put me, The Queen of Excuses, on The Plan and then just trust me with it for six weeks?  Really?"  There was that mirror again.  They trusted me.  I made a commitment. 
     I went home via Publix, where I found myself using a Food Guide and reading Nutrition Facts on packaging to make good choices for breakfast and school lunches and family meals that worked for my plan and that the kids would eat.  That was tough but I did it.  My daughter was unaffected as she is a healthy eater anyway, but my meat-and-potatoes son lost his mind.  "You mean I have to eat vegetables?  I'm gonna starve, mama!"  He's hasn't starved but I thought I would during those first three days.  Breaking the sugar habit was no fun at all, but I did it in less than a week.  I started walking down to my mailbox everyday, too.  It's a quarter mile down hill from my house and a good walk for me and the pups.  I also join my daughter and a friend to walk at the track in town at least three days a week and dusted off the Total Gym.  I love my Total Gym!  I got a bit overzealous with it last Spring and hurt myself and never went back, but I am back now...every day. 
     Since starting on The Plan,  I usually consume less than 1,000 calories per day.  Yes, I am counting calories and eating calories that count...there's an app for that!  And yes, I write them all down.  The Fat Doctor and her dietitian cohort are going to be some kind of proud of me.  I am quite proud of myself, too.  This is Day 25 and I have lost 12 pounds, gone down a pants size and lost almost two inches off my waist.  A plan never worked for me in the past because I really didn't know what I was doing.  But since I shut up and started listening and learning, I am succeeding.   Now when I pass a mirror, I stop and look.  And I like what I see!  

1 comment: